[Jandek] Round The Bend: VCV Plays Jandek

Danen Jobe danen1970 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 20:23:52 PDT 2009

I know I mentioned something about this at one point or another, but I've
really got to say how great this is - it's Jandek, yet it isn't. If you know
the music, you'll catch the melodies (laying waste, once and for all
perhaps, to this silly notion that there are no melodies in Corwood's
music), yet this does what my favorite tribute songs/albums do - it
transforms the music, turns it into something else. The guitars clash and
drone, yet I find this wonderful music to write to - atmospheric, taking one
away and occasionally (as on the 21 minute "Electric End") ringing the ears.
It's great music all the way around, and I hope that many take advantage of
it.

I might also add that - starting with the recently issued (and, I might add,
still awesome) Helsinki show forward the Rep is spending more and more of
his time on instrumental music. As I recall, this tribute was first
suggested about 2 years ago and at that time, there were only a few
instrumental shows. Since then, it has become more commonplace, and Corwood
shows a great deal of diversity in considering what he does - some shows are
more classical in inclination, some more rock oriented, some - like the NO
show I really wish I could've attended - may defy specification. This is a
unique mode of expression for Corwood, and it's cool to me that the guys in
VCV captured this without as much precidence, that it was truly an original
idea on their part. Well worth owning.