[Jandek] Round The Bend: VCV Plays Jandek

Aunt Acid anxietyparty at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 15:58:40 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Some of you might recall me hinting about this CD when it was being completed, but I don't think I've properly announced it to the list until now. For the newcomers (who are likely most of you), VCV is my guitar band with David Tagg. Together we run a couple small labels which we principally use to release our own works as well as a few things by other folks we respect.

Last year we completed ROUND THE BEND which is a Corwood-endorsed-and-approved covers CD featuring our instrumental "reimaginings" of nine Jandek songs, spanning his entire catalog. We got the idea after we realized that many of the Jandek tributes and covers out there seem to focus on the man's lyrics, and often bypass or completely rewrite the music itself. With no disrespect to them, or Jandek's lyrical prowess, we felt that the music and atmosphere of Jandek albums is so incredibly unique while still having audible roots in free jazz, psychedelic rock, folk, blues and even drone music.

Initially we recorded a couple pieces and sent a request to Corwood asking for permission to continue with the project, because it was decided that if he didn't approve of us doing this, we weren't even going to record these songs at all out of respect to him. We got a negative reply first (see the first scan, linked below) but about a week later, before we could respond, he sent a second letter (see the second scan below) which really surprised us. Being certain that he endorsed our work, we moved forward and produced what I'm presenting to you now.

VCV
ROUND THE BEND: VCV PLAYS JANDEK
INSTALL / INST004
FACTORY PRESSED CD IN ECO WALLET WITH CORWOOD-BLUE DISC
LIMITED EDITION OF 300 COPIES / $11 USD

1 I'm Ready (6:00)
2 White Box Requiem (21:01)
3 Alehouse Blues (5:00)
4 You're Not Even Alive (3:12)
5 Upon The Grandeur (7:40)
6 Om (3:30)
7 Starless (6:14)
8 I Went To Hell (5:25)
9 The Electric End (20:48)

FOR MP3 CLIPS AND PHOTOS:
http://www.installsound.net/catalog.htm#4

TO ORDER:
http://www.installsound.net/shop.htm

For those of you curious about the music, our instrumentation ranges from electric/acoustic guitars and basses to dulcimer, african harp, lap steel and even vocals! A couple people on the list (Danen Jobe and Ross Morris) should be thanked for their encouragement as well, as Danen supported our project since the beginning and Ross seems to totally get what we're trying to do with this. Sorry if this came off as spam, but for once I thought this would be a really relevant post!

Letter from Corwood #1:
http://charlie83.second-sun.net/corwoodletter1.jpg

Letter from Corwood #2:
http://charlie83.second-sun.net/corwoodletter2.jpg

If anyone has questions about the record or would like to distribute it, please get in touch with us for distro rates. The CD has been on sale for a little bit and as such there are limited quantities remaining.

All the best,
Brian Grainger