[Jandek] Helskini Saturday

Lars Spurious lars.spurious at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 05:49:51 PDT 2009

Helskini Saturday arrived a couple of weeks back while I was away, and
I'm deep into my fourth listen. I loved the excerpt from this piece on
that compilation album from the festival where it was performed. The
piece itself continues in the same way, rolling on, seeming to digress
and then to collect itself, before digressing again. It's played
patiently, measuredly,

So far, I find the piece does lose my attention for a few passages ...
Perhaps it's simply a question of staying with it and listening to it
again a few more times. There's crowd noise throughout, but it's like
a murmuring percussive texture - it's not distracting.

Searching the net, I found this eloquent review of the original performance:

http://www.digitalisindustries.com/foxyd/features.php?which=154