[Jandek] clenching and unclenching my fist

sugar moon coldsugarmoon at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 11:00:52 PDT 2007

Happenstance, the representative from Corwood and I
were heading to his Manhattan show at the same time on
the same sidewalk. He did speak of trespass in the
show and truly I think he actually was trespassing
that  evening because when I spotted him, he was
exiting to the sidewalk from that sort of "members
only" park near the co-op. Maybe he wanted to get
himself all, you know, psyched about breaking the law.
He walked very very briskly and he repeatedly yet
arhythmically clenched and unclenched his fist the
entire time.

I thought I was the only one laughing during that
highlight song "There are no GIRLS here" right on.
well it was a by and large very "SERIOUS" audience but
that seems to be the NY scene anyhow who have so been
there, done that.

actually the real highlight 4 me was the tightly
controlled exhuberance and exhilaration that he
managed to convey while being entirely, steadfastly
solitary. I imagine like myself many people on this
list have and do listen to some very AHEM "difficult"
music but never have I experienced such a solid wall
of "MY STORY IS DEFINITELY NOT YOUR STORY", every time
I felt like I was being drawn into his world, like
"yea, I can relate to this, we're in the same place on
this one" he would shut me down with something that
said "what i have going on has got nothing to do with
what you've got going on". with the music.  even with
harsh noise and pretty much any music I've ever heard,
music that scares my kitten, i've always felt that the
artist was reaching out to connect with kindrid
spirits in some way, but Jandek, man, its like no
fucking way. He is not having that. Well, that is what
his work feels about, to me, and I think it is
brilliant and probably the most interesting thing I've
experienced in years.

he manages to look both very young and very old at
times. i hope he is really a machinist.