[Jandek] A Capella Clues

Alimarea Vasquez beachdame125 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 19:27:04 PST 2006

I just picked up cd copies of the three a capella albums and would like to
say, i was pleasantly suprised but also notice some crazy things.

First off, it seems like our man Janky has a common thread or obsession
during these three albums.  I can't even keep track of how many times he
mentions "granite" or "iron" or "cast iron" and a house etc.  It seems
important on just these three albums. This made me want to keep listening
over and over.

another tiny thing I noticed is that on the song "You Wake Up Deadman"
between 1:56 and 2:13 the lines "and even then that island is an (enigma?)
and they long for the trash barrel" sound like a completely different
recording?  Those two lines are much crappier quality, and right after those
lines are done it goes right back to a damn near crystal quality. I wonder
why.

Through my years in the military, I also noticed that there is a good chance
that the song "Worthless Recluse" is in code.  The pauses, duration of
pitch, and inflection are all similar to that to extremely basic verbal
coding used in most militaries.  It seems that its the only track off of
that album that is like that, but I may need to listen to it a little more.

Why 42 heads of lettuce and 888 potatoes .. ya know?

I will get back to you all after I listen to them each a couple more times.