[Jandek] That Jandek Survey

Al nilescram at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 02:42:14 PDT 2006

Questionnaire – 10 Questions

a) Are you male or female?                   Male
b) How old are you?                                52
c) What part of the world do you come from?               Finland, Europe

1. How did you get into Jandek? What is your ‘story’?

Don’t know if I ever got into him. First heard of him in late 90’s, got interested and tried to find out about him. Ordered a few CDs from FE and also got the DVD. Found them interesting & intriguing. Interesting, not nice.

2. How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider yourself a Jandek fan?

Being able to listen to the stuff, respect it, admire, even enjoy it sometimes – I guess that makes you a fan, sortof.

3. Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you post? Do you receive posts in digest format?

I didn’t. Very seldom. No.

4. What do your friends and family think about Jandek? What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

My wife tolerates the fact that I like to listen to all kinds of oddities. No one else I know knows anything about Jandek.

5. To what extent does the ‘myth of Jandek’ – the mystery surrounding his identity – appeal to you?

It was a decisive factor in the beginning, I must confess. Now it’s more the music.

6. Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an order? What happened?

No. (So nothing happened.)

7. What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

Don’t know anyone in person. If some of you out there are fans, then some of you appear quite witty and… intelligent? And some may be younger than I
thought they would be.

8. Why do you like Jandek? How often do you listen to Jandek?

Because the music is so… different. Been listening to all kinds of music (mainly rock and pop) for ages, and still I want to hear something new, something else most every day. I listen to Jandek maybe once a month nowadays.

9. What other music do you listen to?

This year it’s dub, psychedelia and slowcore, and artists as diverse as Low, (Japanese) Mono and Keiji Haino. Used to be stuff like Neil Young, Richard Thompson, Tom Verlaine, or Nels Cline, Terje Rypdal, Yo La Tengo and Dinosaur Jr, just to name a few.

10. Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell me?

Must have said too much already.