[Jandek] That Jandek Survey
chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Fri Apr 14 13:16:22 PDT 2006
Are you male or female?
What part of the world do you come from?
- nyc, usa
How did you get into Jandek? What is your ‘story’?
- i saw a featured section one of the local "hip" music stores and asked my friend who it was.
he made a face and proceeded to tell me how much it sucked. that probably put the seed of
wanting to actually hear it in my head. didn't get to hear anything until i heard the
documentary was coming out, which i ordered right away despite knowing nothing about the
artist. i was hooked from the first notes of music on the soundtrack.
How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider
yourself a Jandek fan?
- i try not to consider myself a fan of anything although that's probably impossible and
untrue in several cases. for jandek i don't think i've reached "fan" level yet, although i
respect what he's done.
Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
post? Do you use the digest format?
- joined to discuss theories and reactions to the music. i post when something strikes me as
a discussion i can add to (or subtract from in the case of refuting some things).
What do your friends and family think about Jandek?
What do they think about you listening to Jandek?
- my friend who initially said it sucked still thinks so. others just let the subject drop.
To what extent does the ‘myth of Jandek’ – the mystery
surrounding his identity – appeal to you?
- there is more to the myth than the identity of jandek, which to me really doesn't matter.
what i find fascinating is the relentless, single-minded aesthetic and the sheer volume of
releases. the lack of information and reclusiveness is interesting as a backstory, but if i
didn't enjoy at least some of the music, i wouldn't bother with the rest of it.
Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
order? What happened?
- no, only placed an order. the man clearly wants to keep the public past arm's length. i
don't bother pursuing , speculating, or asking questions.
What is your perception of other Jandek fans?
- i have no overall perception or interest in that aspect.
Why do you like Jandek?
- it's spooky, original music, being released independently by an artist with his own voice.
How often do you listen to Jandek?
- once or twice a month. my music collection is too huge to dwell on any one artist for too
What other music do you listen to?
- as i'm answering this, my other CDs at work are scott walker (melancholy folk-pop),
ministry (industrial dance), ulver (progressive art-rock), the vines (rock), seekness (dark
ambient soundscapes), and 2 german techno CDs.
Is there anything I have not asked that you would like
to tell me?
- i wish it were a little bit easier to sample jandek's music before buying. i only have 4 CDs
plus the second summersteps compilation and would like more, but with such a huge catalog
i don't have the money to just blindly buy a stack of albums unheard.
d. in nyc
More information about the jandek