[Jandek] UK orders direct from Corwood

chthonic streams chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Sat May 28 07:21:08 PDT 2005

>I sell a lot of CDs, both Jandek and other, to UK customers and I
>have found that UK customs is the toughest and slowest of any I've
>encountered. When sent, the sender must declare what the contents
>are and it's value, Smaller shipments use a short "Green" form and
>larger shipments use a longer more detailed form. I never mark any
>items as gifts but I do use a low value on marginal value shipments
>and I've never heard of any problems so far. It's my understanding
>that items under aprox 40 dollars are not taxed. Since Corwood
>offers a flat 10% shipping charge, you might consider ordering them
>20 at a time and request whatever value you would like to be put on
>the form. I would think that 20 CDs would be small enough for the
>Green form which appears to go through more easily.

i'm not sure this is true - 20 CDs is pretty big to the USPS.  i ship
a lot of stuff through ebay and i think the larger white form would
have to be filled out for something that heavy.  that form goes into
more detail and is harder to "hide" things on.

but i agree that something of this size could not be called a "gift"
since they'd be declaring 20 CDs coming from a business name.  if you
ask corwood politely, they may ship the CDs with a value of $1.00
each with the word "promo" marked on the form.  this would keep the
dollar value below $40 and explain the business name, and *hopefully*
no tax would be charged to you.

>By the way, surface shipment takes forever to the UK

this is true.  don't do surface mail, to OR from, unless you're
prepared to wait, especially for a big box (which customs may open).
the alleged time is 6 weeks but it can be more like 2 or 3 months.

d.