[Jandek] Re: 3 Jandek questions for The Dallas Morning News

SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca
Fri May 27 07:00:09 PDT 2005

And I'm quite sure that the mystique is something that is being cultivated.
I mean, it's one thing to be actively courting attention and recognition,
and quite another to almost completley shun it once the interest of an
audience has been piqued.  Mystique helps create intrigue and interest, and
for a guy who has recordings he needs to move, that's not a bad thing...

----- Message from Richard Rees Jones <richard.rees-jones at ntlworld.com> on
Thu, 26 May 2005 08:16:53 +0100 -----

      To: jandek at mylist.net

 Subject: [Jandek] Re: 3 Jandek questions for The Dallas
          Morning News

Seth Tisue wrote:

>I strongly object to all this talk about "mystery" and "mystique", as if
>constantly explaining your own art and sharing your private life with
>the press is somehow normal, and letting your music speak for itself
>somehow isn't.  (Calvin Johnson expressed this same thought well in the
>documentary.)

Oh come on Seth :)  I kind of know what you mean, and if I'd been
asked the same question by a journalist I'd have been tempted to have
a dig at him myself.  But let's face it, Jandek *is* mysterious.
Even if only because his model of not doing interviews or, until now,
making public appearances is one that has never been followed by any
other recording artist, as far as I know.