[Jandek] Hello Jandek Fans!

stephe dk weaseldip at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 07:53:57 PST 2005

you know, it's really annoying that the replies to this group go to the
individual and not to the group. I know I get annoyed when I get group
emails as an indivdual and I feel like an ass for doing it to someone else.

Anyway, it's perfectly fair to think Jandek is crap. I'm sure 99% of the
populace feels that way. I also tend to agree that there is a huge
contingencey of folks who simply like it 'cause it's "weird," or trendy in
some elitist rock-snob kinda way ("look at my lathe cut decaer pinga," 7".
OK, nerd.)

However, and admittedly I may be insane for holding this opinion, but I've
always thought the individual person Jandek (if he even exists) was making
honest, sincere work. I have enjoyed his music for a long time... Since I
first heard of it in the early '90s from "What Goes On," "Forced Exposure,"
and "Chemical Imballance," (I reference these only to make clear that I did
not find out about this guy from "Spin," in fact, I think reading things
like "Spin," is harmful to mental development. The magazine is a paid
Hollywood advertisement published by genocidal right-wing fascists) I mean,
I also own records by Daniel Johnston (who I love), and the Legendary
Stardust Cowboy (now THAT is crap)... And a whole lot of stuff on Bulb
records... All of which have questionable artistic and musical value.

I appreciate, even if it is an elaborate put on (which would be proof that
the guy is REALLY insane), or if he's just some off-center rich dude, the
fact that he is doing what he does with apparently NO REGARD for what ANYONE
thinks. In our time of prepackaged consumer "culture," (re: Spin), it is
refreshing to hear something that is utterly commercially useless. It's like
pachinko music. It's also wonderful product. It's like Andy Warhol. It's
like Baseball Cards.

Oh yeah, being a generally lonely solitary type of person, it also sounds
really, really good sometimes when you're drunk off your ass at 3 AM.