[Jandek] Re: Worthless Recluse

Chris Robinson hardeveningsuburb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 07:49:42 PDT 2010

I completely agree.  Worthless Recluse is a magnificent piece of work.  I'm
a huge fan of the voice only albums; honestly, I can't really understand why
people don't like them.  Sure, they're dark and harrowing.  Sure, they're
outside of the musical norm.  But this is Jandek!  He's always operated
outside of the musical norm.  His three voice only albums are among my
favorites of the discography for their daring, uniqueness and perfect
execution.  His recitations, be they spoken or sung, are great.  I love the
raspy, forlorn quality of his voice on these albums.  I also think that it's
a big shame that the albums have been neglected by the spoken word
community.  But really, if they're not going to recognize these albums as
the masterpieces they are, screw them.  From the examples I've heard, the
spoken word community these days isn't very interesting anyway.

But yeah, I love the voice only albums.  All three are great, but my
favorite will probably always be Put My Dream On This Planet.  The first
time I heard it, it blew me away.  It is by far the most emotionally
harrowing recorded work I've ever heard in my life.  The voice on the
recordings just sounds so full of confusion and sadness and loss... it's
hard to listen to, but hard to turn off.  It amazes me every time I listen
to it.  Try listening to it on headphones in a dark room sometime for a
bleak but rewarding experience.  And very rarely do I come across a
concluding song as perfect as "I Went Outside."  Taken as part of the whole
album, it's a very chilling little track.  It sounds so final that it's
almost frightening.

Okay, time to stop gushing.  I just really like these albums and I'm glad
that somebody on here is talking about them again.

-Chris