[Jandek] Jandek's live debut

Leo Holroyd leoholroyd at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:07:18 PDT 2009

Hi people; I've just joined this mailing list so sorry if I'm bringing up a
topic that has been done to death already.

I got into Jandek pretty recently and there's something I can't figure out -
when he played his first show, in Scotland, who recognised him and told the
world?  If I've got this right, he was unbilled, anonymous, said nothing to
the audience and played songs which no one had ever heard before.  He has a
pretty small fanbase (surely even smaller back then), so there weren't that
many people who could have positively ID'ed him, and those who COULD have
were never expecting to see him play live anyway.  Yet someone in the
audience recognised him.  Was it just one lucky person, or was the audience
full of independent-music types who were all bound to know him?

Leo