[Jandek] JANDEK LIVE AT THE ICA in BOSTON

jodi shapiro jodi at samuraiphotog.com
Sun Jun 10 17:03:16 PDT 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Spencer Graham wrote:

> And anyway, his bass playing was pretty cool, even if he didn't
> quite seem to know what he was doing in the way the other musicians
> clearly did- and gratefully, his bass playing isn't nearly as
> grating as his current guitar playing.

I disagree. Like I said about the Manhattan show, he plays his
instruments in a very idiosyncratic way (I don't think I have ever
seen anyone play any bass, much less a fretless, with their middle
and ring fingers), but in a way that seems to be of total comfort and
confidence for him. Fretless bass is difficult to play, but I found
his playing pretty effortless.

> That's a damn cool bass...I gotta get me one o' those.. it sounded
> the most like a stand-up bass of any electric bass guitar I've ever
> heard.

IIRC, Godins are made specifically to sound like uprights.

Jandek's lyrics are getting darker and more sarcastic. Me like. I was
a little bummed that with all the whirlpool imagery he didn't bust
out a Scylla/Charybdis reference, but perhaps he realized that he
should let Sting have it.

- jodi
jodi shapiro
photography