[Jandek] in response to Stacey Graham; an annotated discography (Jandek Digest, Vol 55, Issue 10)

Michael Mellor miquelotjr at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 05:16:32 PST 2007

I've been reviewing all the albums as they come my way, or (in many cases) close reading them as avant-garde poetry, with a certain amount of cross-referencing (i.e. lyrics that recur in album titles, key images, etc.). Usually the annotated discography is available as a blog on Myspace (look for "Meep" / male / London / 27), though I've taken it down for extensive editing, because it creates technical problems and has to be done in 10,000 word chunks.

  Sadly, all the comments will have disappeared (e.g. "Jandek sounded like Dory and Nemo trying to speak Whale") but Myspace seems a good platform to get feedback on the Corwood Rep if people want to keep doing that...

  Along with some essays and a live review (what may yet become "London Wednesday"), the whole lot is meant to become a chapter in a book on late 20th C Americana (God knows what that means to people who actually live in the US, but over here we take that to mean new country / psych folk / folk noir / various stuff on Secretly Canadian, Drag City... and Corwood). Feedback on that would be gratefully received, as and when excerpts start appearing.

  Hope that's of some use. I'll re-post it ASAP.

  Michael

  Stacey Graham
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:30:05 -0600

    Has anybody approached Jandek lately with the idea of producing the definitive reference book on his music, like track by track and album by album?