[Jandek] anybody have all the vinyl albums

BlackMonk BlackMonk at email.msn.com
Wed Apr 18 20:30:54 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "arkhonia" <gavin at arkhonia.co.uk>
To: <jandek at mylist.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:55 PM
Subject: [Jandek] anybody have all the vinyl albums

>.Corwood wouldn't be barcoding CD issues if they didn't want
> these releases to have some currency in the 21st century, and, by
> extension, wishing for vinyl issues and 'original masters' is kind of
> backwards-looking, in part a record-nerd's fetishising of artifacts
> over content, and in part like favouring Flaubert's original
> 'Temptation of St. Antony' over the crisp modern economy of his final
> version: who needs 'rough drafts' when there's a final version?

A counter example would be "Tender Is The Night." Fitzgerald wrote one of
the best novels in American literature, then, after it had been out for a
few months, had second thoughts and revised it.

The original novel is still one of the best novels in American literature,
the revised version is a curiosity only known by scholars and Fitzgerald
obsessives. (I fall into the second catagory, and the original version is
MUCH better.)