[Fwd: Re: [Jandek] Jandek: the Book?]

Lauren Ciechanowski ciechano at stolaf.edu
Tue Sep 5 08:44:18 PDT 2006

Subject: Re: [Jandek] Jandek: the Book?
From:    "Lauren Ciechanowski" <ciechano at stolaf.edu>
Date:    Mon, September 4, 2006 5:22 pm
To:      "Frank Hardy" <soccerdude219 at yahoo.com>

Good post, Frank. I was penning a response to this before I even received
it (before you wrote it?) this morning. Danen sent his work out to a few
of us on the list he's closer to, before he even looked for a publisher,
and I have been privileged enough to read Niagra Blues already.

You are absolutely right in saying that the book is not at all about OUR
Jandek, nor Danen's impression of OUR Jandek, but merely a 'how does
someone become someone like Jandek?' story. It reads much more like
Faulkner or Woolf than it does a Corwood release - and because I happen to
be a fan of both of the aforementioned authors, I really, really enjoy
Niagra Blues.

The story takes place mostly in the South (NOT Texas south, but south-east
south, if that makes sense), drawing upon true Jandekian references (i.e.
the discography and items we know from Jandek on Corwood to be true).

Danen is about as close to painting an Oliver Stone story as he is to
curing cancer. Nancy, Eddie and John are all characters, and are explained
with a mix of fact and fiction, though the truth is VERY well-shielded.
Does that make sense? I don't even know how much Danen actually knows
about the 'real' Jandek that we order Corwood releases from - I honestly
have NO idea. I do know that some elements of characters are derived from
truth and other elements are pure imagination. However, the line is VERY
blurred.

You should not read this (it bears repeating) you should NOT read this as
a guide to Jandek, but rather as a story that bears a name you know
(Jandek - which honestly is not even referenced frequently at all).

Again - think Faulkner, NOT Corwood. A well-composed, sophisticated and
imaginative read. I urge you all to read before you judge.

Lauren