[Jandek] Jandek Fictional Biography Forthcoming; Author to Read/Sign in Toronto & Chicago

Frank Hardy soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 21:54:54 PDT 2006

Good point, but Jandek isn't Batman. He's not some media-saturated character that gets licensed out to whoever has a clever idea. He's the persona of a particular musician (and even that notion is debatable). To put it bluntly, he's not Danen's character, so what business does Danen have writing about him? And I don't care if "Corwood" sactioned the project- it's a matter of artistic integrity. Let Sterling tell Jandek's story! As a fellow auteur of fiction I don't want to take a shit on your creativity, Mr. Jobe, but don't you have anything else to write about?

  And just for the sake of stirring the pot a bit, I don't think Jandek could play "Johnny B. Goode" to save his life.

  F. Hardy

Simon Greenwood <simon.greenwood at mac.com> wrote:
  Jandek isn't a real person. He's a fiction made by Sterling Smith, and now other people are adding to the fiction. This is made more real by there being instances of Jandek performing live. How much is Jandek a fiction?  I'm sure that if you managed to get him between characters Jandek/Sterling Smith could play you 'Johnny B Goode' at the very least, but he chooses not to. Jandek is a number of rules that we don't know but can appreciate.

  s/