[Jandek] Q: What else do you listen to besides Jandek A: AMQA

Matt Love matt.mattlove1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 11:40:54 PDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Alimarea Vasquez <beachdame125 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well apart from the obvious  Beatles, Slayer, Apple Maggot Quarantine Area,
> King Crimson....

I guess I was in on a little footnote of rock history.  I was working
in the blueprint room at the print shop at the Washington State Dept.
of Transportation (in Olympia).  Mike Nelson (aka Dees) was there as a
part of a summer youth employment program.  (To say that he was
working there would be a stretch).  A transparency of a sign came
through that we were to copy.  It said "Apple Maggot Quarantine Area."
 He said "That would be a good name for a band.  Next thing I know,
the name is appearing on posters for shows around town. I don't know
how long he was with the band. He went on to form Fitz of Depression,
which I guess has gained some notoriety.

I had no idea AMQA was still around until I googled them. But I don't
keep up very well.