[Jandek] Re: letter conclusions/twisted gourd

stacey graham staceygraham at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 08:21:17 PDT 2006

> Ian said: "I feel like the term "outsider music" makes about as much sense
> as any other term used to classify music. I think its just there and what it
> means isn't as important as it being just a reference point."

As the person who made the first post that triggered this all, I have to
agree with this sentiment, and feel the angry reaction it triggered had more
to do with the person who angrily reacted than it did to the term "outsider
music".  It's a simple handle that allowed everybody to know exactly what
was being said without resorting to semantically correct hair-splitting.
It's shorthand, not a value judgement.  It's like referring to the USA as a
democracy in order to convey the type of government the US has in
a simplistic way in casual conversation, when anybody with any political
knowledge knows that the actual method of governing is via electoral college
and not a vote-by-vote democracy.  Simplified shorthand..

Anybody who reads a Jandek list knows EXACTLY what "outsider music" means.
To claim otherwise strikes me as disingenuous or having an agenda to remove
the term from the accepted vernacular, or perhaps to somehow not be even a
rudimentary music fan and somehow end up on a very esoteric discussion list
by accident.  People who have no idea who Jandek is know basically what the
term "outsider music" is shorthand for.

  --
Stacey Graham
Minneapolis  MN  USA