[Jandek] Malachi

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Sun Nov 26 23:44:21 PST 2006

I've continued to be affected by the tragic death by immolation of this unique human being. Found out more about him in this article, and thought it would be good to share.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061126/ap_on_re_us/anti_war_suicide

I have hope that - whether his death was the result of mental illness or not - people will respond to this tragedy. His suicide note sounds remarkably clear, though I can't fully endorse sanity for an act such as this. I believe too much in the necessity of life.

Which makes this all the more tragic, yet a reminder that tragedies are occuring daily miles away. Ironically, while viewing this article my iTunes shuffled to Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Effigy." I about lost it; it brought the point home.

Just something to think about.