[Jandek] approaching the man

Allen Rendel arendel at ripco.com
Wed Nov 22 13:45:20 PST 2006

When I saw him at the Film Archives in NYC last year I overheard the show
organizer asking somebody who worked there is there was a back stairway out
of the building for Mr. Smith, as he was ready to leave and apparently
wanted to avoid seeing anyone on his way out.  As it turned out, there was
no back way out and when I left through the main lobby, he was standing
there talking to a handful of people.  I stood a couple of feet away and
pretended to be reading the notice board, so I overheard the conversation
and got a good look at him (kinda rude, I know, but I could not resist).  He
was having a perfectly normal conversation with some folks about what a nice
time he had had in New York and how good the musicians who had played with
him were.

So........kind of a non answer.  I personally would've felt comfortable just
saying a quick hello and thanks, except that he was in the middle of another
conversation.

Allen Rendel