[Jandek] approaching the man

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Wed Nov 22 12:49:54 PST 2006

> Has anyone ever talked to Jandek at any of the shows? Had a photo
> taken with him? Had him sign a CD or such? Does he really not like
> people approaching him, or are people afraid that he'll freak if
> they try?

He won't freak. Several people on this list have met him (myself included) and he's very nice. The deal is, if he's standing around or something just walk up and shake his hand and tell him you like his music. He won't sign a CD and won't answer personal questions but that's how it always is. If he's not available then don't take it personally.

 Just curious...I realize he's eccentric, eclectic, and
> probably a few more 'E' words, but he is a human being like all of
> us. It'd be interesting to have a few words with him before or
> after a performance.

I'm saying this on behalf of artists in general - PLEASE don't try to converse with him before the show. He's got a lot of work to do and he's psyching himself up. I think this is generally the case with performers.  Afterward if he comes out and is hanging around (as he does sometimes) then it's cool to shake his hand. That seems to be the rule of thumb.

Danen