[Jandek] What else is out there?

Glenn Becker burningc at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri May 26 12:20:36 PDT 2006

Frank -

> Jandek is the only remotely avant-garde or experimental or obscure
> recording artist I listen to. I absolutely hate most of that umbrella of
> music because it seems to be done primarily for the sake of "being
> challenging", and I don't respect the idea of "art for art's sake"
> outside of it being a mere curiosity, something to listen to once and
> say, "well, that was different."

I'm further toward the 'weird' pole than you, I guess, so it's interesting
to read this. Interesting too how people with different tastes and
experiences can meet under the "Jandek umbrella." Heh.

For myself I find the actual "work" of accessing difficult stuff to be
enjoyable and more often than not rewarding. Of course there /are/ "weird
for weird's sake/ acts/people/whatever out there, but I'd argue that their
shallowness shows itself pretty quickly.

I remember reading about Captain Beefheart's _Trout Mask Replica_ record
back in my 20s and thinking "hmm - sounds challenging! must hear it!" When
I first put it on the turntable all I could hear was unstructured noise
and some yelling. But I returned to it a few times and, ultimately, got
comfortable (well, less /un/comfortable) with something that had a
profound effect on my, uh, ability to hear. My roommate at the time
/still/ begged me to take it off whenever I put it on! :^)

That's just one example. I've experienced many others, and had a good
time.

Note, I'm not trying to change your mind, just relating something from my
own experience.

As I've written before Jandek made perfect sense to me the first time I
heard him.

Glenn

Dr. Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.lonestar.org