[Jandek] Napping with Jandek

Joseph Frezza joebot888 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 11:19:53 PST 2006

I smell a weekly cable show. "Napping with Jandek". "This week Jandek
takes a nap with horror director Eli Roth, and political commentator
Arianna Huffington." And then they just sit in their respective
interview chairs, everybody's got a blanket on, with the TV mic clipped
to it, and then they sleep pretty much silently onscreen for a half
hour. Then that's it, the shows over.

It'd be huge.

But honestly, for about 10 years, Graven Image was the only Jandek
album I had, and my relationship with the album was like this: I put it
on once and fell sorta half-asleep, and hovering there in Alpha I had
all kinds of crazy, weird-o dreams, with the Jandek music seeming to
dictate the events and the imagery and whatnot. So for years after that
I would always put on Graven Image if I was going to take a
mid-afternoon nap, and it often had the same effect.

`