[Jandek] thoughts on Newcastle Sunday

Paul Condon paulgcondon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 09:39:22 PST 2006

On 3/9/06, Carlin, Steven J <Steven.Carlin at mottmac.com> wrote:
> Do you seriously believe that Jandek is as innovative and has been as
> influential as Sun Ra?
>
> You are really quite deluded.

Neither I nor the original poster said that Jandek was as influential
as Sun Ra or anybody. Though I haven't heard the Summersteps covers
albums, from what I've read about them, it would seem that many
contributors translated Jandek's songs into more conventional
idiomatic areas, not even attempting to address his stylistic
innovations, understandably, as they are so peculiar to him.
I don't think any Jandek fan could deny that his music is innoavative.
But nobody would suggest he's influential in any direct way. I don't
think this fact detracts from his music, rather it underlines what a
unique artist he is.