[Jandek] JANKY IN CHICAGO

halcyon at uchicago.edu halcyon at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 6 14:58:48 PDT 2006

>From pitchfork (yeah, yeah... let's hope this isn't
another "Jeff Mangum returns!")

"Jandek to Play Adventures in Modern Music Festival

The fourth annual Adventures in Modern Music Festival is
headed to Chicago once again, taking place September 20-24 at
the Empty Bottle (where, like, every good show in the city
happens). Sponsored by The Wire magazine, the fest applies
the word "modern" rather loosely (most of the participating
acts have been recording for awhile...some for decades) but
does promise a range of aural "adventures." The highlight of
this year's lineup is international man of mystery Jandek,
making his Chicago debut. Jandek was supposed to perform at
last year's fest, but Hurricane Rita spoiled his travel
plans.

Other performers include art rockers Kayo Dot, earthy rockers
Badgerlore, rap scientist Edan, free jazz masters Hamid Drake
and William Parker, and pioneering trumpeter/guitarist Rhys
Chatham.

Choose Your Own Adventures:

Wednesday, September 20:
Cobra Killer
Tim Hecker
Rhys Chatham's Essentialist
Jandek

Thursday, September 21:
Edan with special guest Dagha
Badgerlore
Hive Mind
The Coughs

Friday, September 22:
Tetine
Colleen
Yellow Swans
Cast King

Saturday, September 23:
OM
Subtle
The Paul Flaherty/Frank Rosaly Duo
Zu

Sunday, September 24:
Steinski
The Hamid Drake/William Parker Duo
Trapist
Kayo Dot"

As a continuation of our "What sounds like Jandek?" forum,
I'd like to add that fans of Jandek would probably like Kayo
Dot and Yellow Swans. Much louder, but the same unnerving
feeling. Now let's hope against hurricanes...