[Jandek] The blues and sexual innuendo

Mister Born (to you) scott.born at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 08:55:00 PST 2006

This discussion is sucking.

I think the fact that people take Jandek so hyper-seriously is pretty
funny, and really worthy of a "Butts for Jandek."  I laughed heartily
when I saw that; I'd love to see a "Girls Gone Wild for Jandek," where
idiotic, naive, cookie-cutter, second-semester-bisexual-chicks make
out and pour beers down their shirts while yelling, "Come and get
this, Sterling, you know you waaaaaaaant it!"  The contrast between
the "Bumfights" community and the "Other Music" community is not so
very far, no?  Is there really no place where they intersect?

The "Door Behind" comment was the equivalent of the guy who farts
loudly at a recital during the silent appreciation moments, which is
entirely appropriate.  It is funny specifically because of the irony,
and because it is sophomoric.  I found the whole thing refreshing,
because even though I've been around for a long time, and own the
whole Jandek catalog, and think he is a lot less mysterious than some
believe, I think that the uber-art-Jandekians could use a little bit
of farting in their lives.

The off-list comments I received were classic.  I'm glad those folks
have Jandek to worship, because that guy from Creed is probably
swamped.  And I see the whole "It is He that can do no wrong -- he
ought not be spoken of when celebrating butts and buttsex and
show-your-tits and stink bombs" the same for that douche as I do for
some of the Jandek crowd (only the Jandek crowd is much smaller --
probably in the hundreds).  Jeepers.  I hope His Holiness is getting
some mileage out of those folks.  He deserves it for perseverance
alone.

I ought be clear that I do not blame S.S. for the minority of his
fans; I really appreciate his sense of humor and his music, both of
which can be quite refined and then quite unrefined.  That really
pleases me.

PULL MY FINGER!