[Jandek] The blues and sexual innuendo

Spencer Graham soccerdude219 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 21:16:20 PST 2006

Comments:

  1) I still think Butt for Jandek was really funny. I mean, it's a crude but not unreasonable reaction, upon hearing Jandek for the first time, to think, "Jeez, this guy probably doesn't get laid much." Just imagine Jandek receiving all those pictures and being like "what the.." I do agree it would be been poor taste to actually send him those pictures, but frankly I'd like to see more (but not too many more) jokes like that on the list, because I feel like a lot of people here (myself included) have their heads of their own butts a little bit too much. Come on! It's funny!  Besides, what's really insulting about it anyway? Is is just that it offends people's images of Jandek as something other than a normal human being? Why does everyone assume Jandek is some uptight, disturbed, intense, asexual weirdo just because his most of his music is uptight, disturbed, intense, asexual, and weird? He sounds like a normal guy whenever he gets interviewed. The way I see it, the music
 thing is just something he does to wrestle with his demons- I don't think it means he can't appreciate a good butt as much as the next guy, especially one with his name on it! Obviously I'm being facetious here, but people need to get over this idea of Jandek as some holy, untouchable figure.

  2) This recent joke was NOT funny because it doesn't make sense. As an experienced troll on this list, I'm dissapointed with its total lack of imagination. I mean, come on. Implying someone is gay is only funny in like, middle school, and even then it's not really funny at all.

  But then again, when you think about it...Corwood, right? Get it? Wood? LOL!!!

  Seriously kids, grow up.

  -Spence

  Gavin <gavin at arkhonia.co.uk> wrote:

TET> Hmmm...but it's NOT insulting and sophomoric to react as though the mere
TET> insinuation/interpretation of a song/title were the most insulting thing in
TET> the world? (Given Jandek's fondness for the blues, one should point out the
TET> song 'Back Door Man' ;) )

I think the blues analogy is a valid defence of what *was* a pretty
lame innuendo, but I can't think of any other Jandek lyric or title
that seems remotely concerned with sexual innuendo of any kind - in
fact, if one wants to consider (just for the sake of argument) that
Jandek has anything at all to do with 'rock music', I think that the
entire body of work is pretty unique in its absence of sexual
reference, use of profanity etc...the word 'genitals' is used in two
lyrics, which is unusual in itself in that it's a 'formal' reference
that's not normally used in everyday speech (at least not these days -
euphemisms are so much more expressive!) - I think what people might
find offensive is the same thing that the (utterly cretinous) 'Butts
For Jandek' offends: a sense of an inherent propriety, and a
politeness - and that this elicts a likewise response in a
listener...I can see the 'Door Behind' analogy now that it's been
pointed out, but it would never have crossed my mind, and it adds
nothing to my understanding of Jandekian metaphor. But obviously I'm
only speaking for myself here; as far as I'm concerned, this kind of
'lowest common denominator' critical thinking detracts from any kind
of proper understanding of anything, be it music, literature or art,
but it works for some people - but I personally think, life, art and
metaphor is much richer than just bringing everything down to sex.

Gavin

http://mail.yahoo.com