[Jandek] re: survey

ian nauroth ian.nauroth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 12:25:27 PDT 2006

Ian

Are you male or female?
Male

How old are you?
27

What part of the world do you come from?
Philadelphia, PA

How did you get into Jandek? What is your 'story'?

I had heard the name referenced in articles/interviews about strange music.
I rented the DVD documentary on a whim. i am a musician and have a hunger
for information about other musicians and their history and processes. so i
watch a lot of those kind of films. i found the music and the so interesting
that i had to find out more.

How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider
yourself a Jandek fan?

i suppose a fan is someone who owns at least some of his music. not that
they would necessarily listen to it on a regular basis but they would
definitely have to appreciate it on some level.

Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you
post? Do you use the digest format?

i guess i was curious to hear some theories, get more general info, and keep
updated about corwood activity. maybe hoping for a philly-area show in the
future. this is my first post but i'd like to be more involved as i become
more familiar with the catalog. i do use the digest though i might switch as
it is sometimes confusing.

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?

i've haven't shared jandek with many people. i haven't been into him that
long. the few people i introduced him to just found it odd and i think they
weren't sure how to feel. i, myself, am not entirely sure how to feel about
the music. i'm hesitant to discuss him with the people who would know of
him; i have a fear of seeming pretentious.

To what extent does the 'myth of Jandek' appeal to you?

very much, i think its fun to hear theories about him. i don't think i'd
care to know the whole truth though.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or
Sterling Smith for reasons other than placing an
order? What happened?

no, i plan on placing a large order once i have the cash to spare. i'm very
interested in his creative process so i may include some kind of note, if i
can do it without being too intrusive.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

fans of mysteries, oddities, and sincerities. often well spoken and well
read. a lot of serious music fans with pretty eclectic tastes.

Why do you like Jandek?
i find it fascinating and inspiring that someone could create such an
interest with such limited distribution and still continue to produce
material on such a limited amount of feedback. based on the small amount of
information that is actually known about the man, i think it shows a very
real and urgent need for artistic expression that is being fueled and
fulfilled by his continual output of music and albums. i love the idea of
someone gaining such respect despite complete anonymity. the music very
genuine and pretty timeless. i also think it has a very interesting balance.
i would describe it as a soothing melody dangling by a thread over a sea of
darkness.

How often do you listen to Jandek?
once a week though i might find myself listening more once i am able to
expand my jandek library.

What other music do you listen to?
mosty music that is very genuine and very urgent but also timeless, but i
also feel that the truly sincere is timeless.

a small somewhat-inaccurate representation:
Fugazi, My Bloody Valentine, Happy Go Licky, Spoon, Gang of Four, Sonic
Youth, Bjork, The Black Heart Procession, Pinback, The Clash, The Walkmen,
Stereolab, Tom Waits, Rodan, Slint, Joy Division, Radiohead, the Action, the
Misfits, the Archers of Loaf, the Beatles, Storm and Stress, the Arcade
Fire, Roy Orbison, Guided By Voices, Come, Bonnie Prince Billy, Brian Eno,
David Bowie, Can, Faust, Cap'N Jazz, The Wedding Present, Colleen, Dead
Kennedys, MF Doom, The Descendents, Nine Inch Nails, Interpol, Jawbreaker,
De La Soul, Karp, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Magnetic Fields, Minutemen,
Mission of Burma, Wire, Modest Mouse, Mouse on Mars, Neutral Milk Hotel,
Nick Drake, Nirvana, Pavement, Pixies, Polvo, Rachel's, Sleep, Black Dice

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like
to tell me?

jandek engages the right side of my brain. sometimes it's miserable moments,
have a strange way of reassuring or comforting mine.