[Jandek] That Jandek Survey

Ratan X ratanx at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 10:11:08 PDT 2006

Are you male or female?

Male

How old are you?

28

What part of the world do you come from?

USA

How did you get into Jandek? What is your 'story'?

I first heard about the Corwood Rep from another list. When the first
live show happened, somebody posted an article about it, and I asked
"Who is Jandek?" And somebody was kind enough to send me a link to
Seth's site.

How do you define being a Jandek fan? Do you consider yourself a Jandek fan?

I can't define fan for everybody. It's too nebulous of a concept
anyway. I've gone on benders where all I will listen to, for weeks at
a time, is Jandek. Especially the earlier stuff.

Why did you join the mailing list? How often do you post? Do you use
the digest format?

I get individual mails, and I post rarely. Joined because I wanted to
see what other people thought about the man and his music.

What do your friends and family think about Jandek?

They're usually put off by my musical tastes, so I've not really tried
to play Jandek for them.

What do they think about you listening to Jandek?

Ditto

To what extent does the 'myth of Jandek' – the mystery surrounding his
identity – appeal to you?

It was what got me into the man originally. The idea that somebody
anonymously releasing records for almost 30 years is cool, especially
in ther internet age. But now that I've actually listened to the man's
music, I'd rather focus on that.

Have you ever tried to contact Corwood Industries or Sterling Smith
for reasons other than placing an order?

Nope! I have my phone number on my checks, if he wants to call me, he
can. It would be wrong for me to contact him, when he most likely
doesn't want to be bothered.

What is your perception of other Jandek fans?

They're a devoted bunch! Most of them would make great fiction
writers, if they aren't already. The imagination they show when coming
up with theories on Jandek are really clever.

Why do you like Jandek?

He is one of the few emotionally raw and honest artists working today.

How often do you listen to Jandek?

I listen to one album at least once a week. Though I'm ordering
another box soon, so I'll probably listen to him non-stop in the
coming weeks.

What other music do you listen to?

Too many to list. Nothing too "weird" or experimental. Most of my
tastes run towards punk, indie rock and classic country.

Is there anything I have not asked that you would like to tell me?

A few years back, I pinched my cyatic nerve doing too much weight on a
leg press.

Cheers,
Ratan