[Jandek] First NYC show

Scott Bateman batetoon at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 05:17:39 PDT 2005

Jandek played the ORGAN. Sounded just like the one on
Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale." Prog-rock
Jandek is here. It was unbelievable.

Lyrics were heavy, about nothingness, depression, etc.
I have never felt so emotionally drained after a
concert. And everyone leaving the theater seemed to
feel the same way.

The guitarist, who had been playing some wonderful
feedback washes over Jandek's organ playing, stopped
playing for the last two songs, and started holding
his head as if he were in a great deal of pain--I'm
guessing toothache or ear infection, or maybe he just
had his wisdoms out that day but wanted the show to go
on. The music sounded just as great without him, and
the bassist even seemed to pick up the slack, getting
a little flashier in his playing; in fact, he was
downright hypnotic for the last track.

The drummer was quite good and kept breaking out
little percussion science experiments, like bowing the
side of a drum (!).

The man himself was guant--he's the least corporeal
human being I've ever seen; the lighting sometimes
made it appear he had no eyes or mouth and was carved
out of wax.

I hope to god this becomes an album--there is NOTHING
in Jandek's body of work that sounds like last night.
It was completely unprecedented. And Amazing. It'll be
among my favorite Jandek albums if/when it comes out.

Scott Bateman
http://www.batemania.com/bateman365
An animated film every day for a year