[Jandek] Jandek vs. The Stones?

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Sun Jun 5 19:46:35 PDT 2005

> That doesn't change the fact that Beefheart was playing blues
> before the
> Stones had any impact in the US, and playing them much better than
> the
> Rolling Stones, who really weren't much of a blues group until the
> late 60s.
> Their first American hit was a cover of a Buddy Holly song that
> had been
> influenced by Bo Diddley. If the Rolling Stones can be considered
> blues,
> then you have to acknowledge that the US audience had been
> familiar with
> blues for a long time.

Um, actually if you discount the "hit" and listen to the first two (three American) Stones albums you'll hear a LOT of straight blues. "Confessin' the Blues," "Little Red Rooster," "Down Home Girl," etc. The Rolling Stones No. 2 (recorded largely in 63/64 PRIOR to the 65 Beef recording of Diddy Wah Diddy - which is no more blues than "Not Fade Away") is a terrific mostly blues album.  Not that I'd defend the Stones past 72, but they did some good stuff in their day and deserve some cred.  Beef does as well.

Also I would contend that the Stones were moving more AWAY from the blues by the late 60's. Not that there aren't plenty of blues on those later recs, but the band (as influenced more by Brian Jones before Mick and Keef took the band over starting with Out of Their Heads) DID start as a blues based band.  Listen for yourself to the evidence. Judging by Jandek's Animals-ish cover of "House of the Rising Son" I have to believe he was into the more blues based British invasion (Paul Butterfield, Stones, Yardbirds, lots of garage stuff). I also think he stumbled into some of the ESP stuff like the Godz (LISTEN to that first damn album) and Holy Modal Rounders as well as "Decals" era Beefheart and pops up somewhere in the middle of that as his own man.

Oh and I can't imagine seeing Jandek waiting for a train.  The blues allusions are too awesome to mention. And I think it's cool that y'all didn't say anything unbecoming.