[Jandek] EU vs US

chthonic chthonic at chthonicstreams.com
Sun Jun 5 09:05:16 PDT 2005

>> But I don't think Jandek's boycotting America as you imply; it just seems
>> like people are more friendly to experimental music over on your side of
>> the pond. Of course I could be wrong about that too.
>>
>My guess is he just wanted someone to subsidize a vacation in the UK. If he
>had just wanted somewhere friendly to experimental music, he could have
>tried New York, or San Francisco, or even Austin.

i'd think those places are "too close to home" for someone so notoriously shy.

i do believe europe is still more receptive to unusual music than any of those cities
(and i live in NYC).  there they also have a lot of state-funded experimental arts
programs, while here you have to fight with the NEA or play tiny places to small
groups of people "in the know".

d.