[Jandek] Jandek/Richard Thompson connection?

Danen D. Jobe djobe at uark.edu
Sat Jul 23 13:38:14 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: BlackMonk <BlackMonk at email.msn.com>

> Three Gods. The Christian interpretion of the Old Testament and
> the Jewish
> understanding are very different.

Thanks for setting me straight - though the texts are similar it's difference enough that Christians see the Old Testament as a prelude of sorts to the New Testament and the Jewish understanding of the Torah is that it builds to a Messiah who has not yet come.

> In the 80s, Richard Thompson said he was still a Muslim, but not
> strictly a
> Sufi. I suspect both men are spiritual, intellectually curious
> people who
> explore various beliefs and are affected by them without commiting
> themselves to any specific sect.

I'll buy that. More than anything I was putting together the similarities between the cover and title of Thompson's album with the cover and title of Jandek's and seeing a link. Jandek's always been a bit Old Testament in his spiritual songs but some of them ("Take My Will" especially) seem to be very humble and revealing of character.