[Jandek] Hello Jandek Fans!

Moulty moulty40 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 17 13:51:10 PST 2005

Hi Guys and gals,

I just joined the list.  I first heard about Jandek in that issue of Spin that named him (tongue in cheek) one of the "top ten most influential artists" or something, way back in the 80's.

Years later I found a copy of "Lost Cause" in a thrift store, and years after that I found one of his cd's.

I collect records, I like weird records.....I sold both Jandek's without a second thought.

There is a word for Jandek's "music" : Garbage.

Whether by accident, or design, it's hilarious that Jandek's annonimity has sparked such an "interest" in him.  Yeah, I'm curious too..... Does he think this is good music, that someone else, somewhere, will "enjoy" it?  Is he some guy who is steeped in "experimental music", or did he think of his appraoch all by himself?

Who knows? The answer to that will be interesting. But the records?  Forget it.  It's the worst pile of crap ever. Celine Dion is Mozart compared to Jandek.

I do not believe anyone "likes" them.  I think it's a bad case of "look at me, I'm different and special" among a very small group of poseurs.

That's just my opinion.  I think Robert Christgau pretty much said everything that needs to be said about Jandek when he simply lumped him in the "meltdown" catagory.

I like "outre" rock music.  I was a Velvet Undergrund fan when I was 15. I played in bands that used chaos and dissonance and "spontaneous composition". But Jandek BLOWS.

Anyway, just my opinion. I'll probably be kicked off the list.  So, there is my opinion on "Jandek".

Thanks.