Subject: Re: [Jandek] Jandek: Tom Petty fan

Phil Harwell paharwell at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 07:21:43 PST 2005

> > Weren't Sonic Youth big Madonna fans?
>
> Yes indeed! SY, along with Mike Watt, had an album
> out in the mid 80s
> called Ciccone Youth, that included Watt's cover of
> Burning Up. And Kim
> sang on a cover of Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love.

And they appeared on a Carpenters tribute album (their
version of Superstar was way cool in my opinion).

> > I reckon Jandek's pulling our legs and is a big
> fan of Bobortemagus,
> > Loren Connors,Half Japanese, Lydia Lunch and all
> that other
> > avant-skronk, but he's just being modest
>
> Heh, well, he probably likes a lot of stuff. I can't
> imagine too many
> people in the indie and avant scenes who don't like
> cheesy pop as well.

And some of them shamelessly flaunt it too. Why not
have a well-balanced diet as far as music goes?  Sure
I like Jandek's atonal death-blues, but I also love
Hanson's first album.  There I said it!  I'm not
afraid to admit it!  I try to have a wide variety of
stuff to listen to:  Grunge, Country, Gospel, Ambient
Electronic, Polka and lots of others.... why not the
Corwood Rep as well?

Phil

www.philharwell.com