Fwd: [Jandek] Merzbow live

Sharif Mansour stampid.mouse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:18:09 PDT 2005

> It's really a strange thing that electronic musicians have to go through
> in
> order to translate their material to a live performance. While I dislike
> it
> when a musician looks like a librarian sitting behind a computer, I also
> dislike it when electronic musicians feign playing parts that are really
> being
> played by a sequencer, or even worse, a backing tape/mp3. I would have
> expected Merzbow to find a unique and entertaining way of doing all of
> this and
> I'm definitely disappointed to hear about these experiences. Ah well.
> Whaddya
> do?
>
> -e. <-e. at mylist.net>

I recently saw a local NYC electronic artist who dances/reacts/convulses to
the sounds he makes from his laptop and equipment. He seemed to remember all
of his samples and noises, so when he pushed a button, the music and the
music cooperate. The whole spectacle makes for a fantastic live show.
He was called BlipVert. Has anyone else seen him?

Sharif Mansour

PS: I saw Kraftwerk too. It was dull, but the fact that they're actually
Kraftwerk playing Kraftwerk tunes makes up for it. Merzbow has the same
effect ONLY if you're a total Merzbow geek like I am. I was as giddy as a
schoolgirl when I got to see him.