[Jandek] New York show sold out

R. Lim rlim at inch.com
Thu Aug 11 18:49:09 PDT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Bob Lukomski wrote:

> For those of you in the NYC area who couldn't/didn't get tix, I propose we
> have our own little shindig on the 6th.  I'll even host.

Don't be shy, put out an ad for the unofficial Jandek Afterparty.
Free drinks for the ladies.  Magic.

I know there are many frustrated people here, but it might be worthwhile
to bear in mind the following:

1) Cut Anthology some slack.  If I had to guess, the decisions are
probably coming from the show's organizers.

2) While you're at it, cut the organizers some slack too.  I doubt if
they are professional event promoters.

3) If you recall, there was no plan to make tickets available on the
Internet.  They probably changed their mind because of the outcry on such
forums as these, to give a chance for others to be able to attend.
Personally, I don't see any problem in restricting ticket sales to
in-person purchases, so kudos to them for trying to help a few people out.

3) There are very few alternatives for on-line ticketing and I'm pretty
sure it would have taken a team of lawyers to read through the
Ticketmaster contract (if they would even work with a one-off).  Ticketweb
clearly doesn't have the capacity to deal with this level of demand but
they have always done the right thing by me and a simple call or e-mail
will likely resolve any billing issues.  Don't forget to be polite.

4) I would bet that the artist specifically did not want to play a
commercial venue that had the built-in infrastructure for ticket sales.
If he did, there would be a fair share of you lot moaning about how he had
"sold out"

5) If this is the last time he plays NY, I will eat my hat.

  -rob

--
Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim