[Jandek] Jandek is a no good sellout

SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca
Wed Apr 13 09:59:30 PDT 2005

Uh, the below comment was supposed to be a joke, y'all!  I have me doubts
that Jandek is capable of "selling out" - if the next LP is a move into
'urban' territory, I may revise this opinion though.

----- Message from "Joshua Frattarola" <joshua at teahaile.com> on Fri, 8 Apr
2005 16:10:27 -0400 -----

      To: <SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca>,
          <jandek at mylist.net>

 Subject: RE: [Jandek] Re: jandek Digest, Vol 53, Issue 63

I love it.  "Jandek has sold out".  Jandek has always "Sold Out" since the
beginning.  Remember his earliest talks with Richie Unterberger about
trying
to get stores to carry his records...he used the term "I need to move
them".
This is a guy who has always wanted to succeed in the music business, and I
think it's fair to say...he has.  Now, at a climax point in his
ever-growing
popularity, he decides to capitalize on it by playing live shows..."cool",
everyone says, while whispering, "I hope he's not selling out."  now, his
newest releases include a barcode..."he's becoming commericial!  Oh, no he
IS selling out!", some start screaming.  No, he's not selling out...he's
selling, and realizing the potential for future sales.  Why is it that we
(I
include myself in this) always want to mold our musical heroes (too strong
word?) into something we want them  to be (exclusive, mysterious, etc.)
instead of accepting that they are not too much different than you or me,
but perhaps their music is...end of story.  I can't say that I won't still
search out original vinyl copies, instead of purchasing the fresh new
edited, commercial CD's, but let's not call these new moves, "selling out".

- j