[Jandek] 1st album only "pure" one

Bradleybee bradleybee at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 12:19:28 PDT 2004

In this case, pure is not used just as a qualitative word but as
a description.  A 'pure' album is one that is less affected by
outside influences.  For instance, early DEVO demo tracks would
be considered 'very pure,' because they were produced entirely
by the band, whereas the album "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are
Devo!" would be considered 'less pure' because of the outside
infuence of the record's producer, Brian Eno.  By saying the
demos are more pure, you are not actually saying they are
better.  You're not saying they're worse, either.

Also keep in mind that if you can't really compare the 'purity'
of Jandek recordings to those of other recording artists.  In
this case, the purity of Jandek's recordings would compare much
closer with my a-capella vocal performance in the shower this
morning  :)

--- Justin Bailey <alfredggnome at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any discussion of "purity" in terms of whether some
> albums are more or less Jandek just ends up being an
> out-hipping competition, like "I have to separate
> myself from these new fans jumping on the bandwagon,
> so I'll say I like Jandek on some higher level."
> Frankly, it just seems pretentious and silly to me.
> Perhaps it's the nature of Jandek that lets people get
> away with saying this crap. If someone were making the
> same sort of assertion on a Guns 'n Roses list, that,
> say "Appetite for Destruction" is more pure than "Use
> Your Illusion" everyone would just call the person an
> jerk.
>
> /Justin
> --- Dave Parent <dave9199 at lycos.com> wrote:
>
> > I disagree with this comment made by Seth, I think.
> > Because in Sterling Smith's response to Chusid's
> > letter in 1980, he says he has at least 10 more
> > albums & wants to release them all. That would make
> > the first 11 albums "pure" which is up to Foreign
> > Keys. I, myself, think their all pure anyway.
> >
> > --
> > Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow
> > Pages

=====
http://www.geocities.com/bradleybee

Free mp3s: