[Jandek] Dr. Demento

Charles Gillett eelpout at usa.net
Sat Oct 9 21:32:39 PDT 2004

On 09 Oct 2004 09:28:23 AM CDT, Joe Faust wrote:
> So I'm wondering now about Jandek's motivation for
> sending his stuff to Dr. D.  I've come up with a
> couple of different scenarios:

Dr. Demento, as Barrett Hansen, is actually pretty
well known as a musicologist, especially when it
comes to folk music. He went out "collecting" folk
musicians with John Fahey and others in the '60s,
and even produced a few of Fahey's early records.
Jandek might have known that he was sending his LPs
to someone who knew something.

Even if he didn't know anything about the good Dr.,
he might have figured that the Dr. Demento Show would
be one of the only ways he could get played on the
radio, which is every boy's dream. Not everything on
the show is purely a joke--sometimes it's just weird
music. I first heard the Residents on the Dr. Demento
show.

-- Charles