[Jandek] jandek and emily dickinson

X95841 at aol.com X95841 at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 20:54:26 PDT 2004

has anybody else ever mentioned a jandek/emily dickinson connection? It just
struck me while i was internet-talking to a friend, telling her how the music
of devendra banhart would make her die a dickinson type death, like your head
exploding and all, and i suddenly started brainstorming on connections between
dickinson and jandek. You've got the assumed reclusiveness, the jagged,
unpolished, idiosynchratic (i'm too lazy and rushed to do spell check here),
self-referential poetry, windows and vague ex- or unrequited loves. Even--if you
care to think of it this way-- Dickinson's poetry was formally "out of tune" like
jandek's guitar. I'm sorry if this seems rushed, but i'll probably be
thinking about it all night and come up with someting a little more cohesive by
tomorrow. I'm still interested to see initial responses. Gonna go see relatively
mainstream rock bands now.

--james--