[Jandek] Harp

Brobish brobish at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 16:10:46 PDT 2004

I do believe that the voice belongs to the same
singer.

I have many recordings of self-produced music and let
them sit around until I have the funds to have them
manufactured into a format for distribution.  During
this
interim period I don’t stop recording... I continue to
record
new stuff so when the time rolls around to go to press
with
a new project there are better things to choose from.

I think that this could be a M.O. of Jandek as well.
Perhaps not all the time but I can see it happening
during
the period of the ‘voice change’.

Maybe smoking caught up with the singer.
Or a medical operation...
Or perhaps the overall pitch of the master recordings
have
been shifted down a semi-tone.

Anyways, an aspect of the later recordings that I
hadn’t
given much thought to before that intrigued me
recently
was that of the harmonica.  I was kind of annoyed by
the
strafing runs up and down the blow-holes of the
instrument
but lately I’ve been paying attention to some of the
bends
that the player executes (i.e. I Threw You Away) and
the
general melody (excluding the sliding runs) and I find
them
very interesting.  Especially the bending of notes.
It’s a
technique used throughout blues and I find it rather
difficult
to perform within the context of a melody... but then
again
I’m a novice at that instrument.

Anybody else have any thoughts on the harp of Jandek?