Reno, Nevada, USA
I like programming languages [since 1980], hacking on compilers and interpreters [since 1992],
and building educational technology [1995–2015].
I like Scala [since 2008].
I’m on the Scala compiler team at Lightbend [since 2015], and I’m the main moderator of the Scala chat rooms.
My Mastodon feed is mainly about programming.
All my code is on GitHub.
I’m active on Instagram [since 2011] and Flickr [since 2005].
Here’s a log of my recent listening
(& reading, viewing), with commentary.
- 2019: Moved to Reno, Nevada.
- 2016: Moved to San Francisco.
- 2015: Joined the Scala team at Typesafe (later, Lightbend).
- 2014–2016: Co-host of the Scalawags podcast.
- 2011–2016: Co-organizer of the
Boston Scala Meetup
and the Northeast Scala Symposium.
- 2014–2015: Computer Scientist at
applying functional programming to educational technology.
- 2008: Learned Scala and became involved in Scala community.
- 2006: Moved to Boston.
- 2001–2014: Lead developer
of NetLogo, a
open-source DIY programming language for kids, teachers, and
- 2000–2009: Photographer of live music performances. (Sporadically since, also.)
- 1994–2009: Discographer and chronicler of
- 1994–2006: Discographer of
Jim O’Rourke and
- 1995–2002: Maintainer of Chicago Now, a
concert calendar for experimental and improvised music in Chicago.
- 1995–2001: Graduate student and visiting lecturer
at Northwestern’s computer science dept. Wrote a lot of
Common Lisp; learned Java; taught data structures in C++.
- 1992–1999: College radio DJ (WNUR, WHPK, WKDI). Jazz Music
Director at WNUR. Here are some old
- 1994–1995: Programmer at Argonne National Laboratory.
Wrote C, Perl, and Delphi.
- 1989–1993: Computer science & math student at University
of Chicago. Learned Unix, C, and Common Lisp.
- 1989: Moved to Chicago.
- 1988–1992: Zine publisher, including The Roosevelt A-Word
(high school underground newspaper) and Plaster Cramp
Press, a xerox press that published experimental art and writing,
including a big book
- 1986–1988: Sysop of Electric Cafe BBS.
- 1983: Learned Pascal.
- 1980: Learned BASIC.
- 1976: Moved to Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1971: Born in Beloit, Wisconsin.