Reno, Nevada, USA
I like programming languages [since 1980], hacking on compilers and interpreters [since 1992],
and building educational technology [1995–2015].
I like Scala [since 2008].
I am part of the Scala compiler team at Lightbend [since 2015].
My Twitter feed is mainly about programming.
All my code is on GitHub.
I’m active on Instagram [since 2011] and (less these days) Flickr [since 2005].
Here’s a log of my recent listening
(& reading, viewing).
- 2019: Moved to Reno, Nevada.
- 2016: Moved to San Francisco.
- 2014–2016: Co-host of the Scalawags podcast.
- 2011–2016: Co-organizer of the
Boston Scala Meetup
and the Northeast Scala Symposium.
- 2014–2015: Computer Scientist at
applying functional programming to educational technology.
- 2006: Moved to Boston.
- 2001–2014: Lead developer
of NetLogo, a
open-source DIY programming language for kids, teachers, and
- 2000–2009: Photographer of live music performances.
- 1994–2009: Discographer and chronicler of
- 1994–2006: Discographer of
Jim O’Rourke and
- 1995–2002: Maintainer of Chicago Now, a
concert calendar for experimental and improvised music in Chicago.
- 1995–2001: Graduate student and visiting lecturer
at Northwestern’s computer science dept.
- 1992–1999: College radio DJ (WNUR, WHPK, WKDI). Here are
some old playlists.
- 1989–1993: Computer science & math student at University
- 1989: Moved to Chicago.
- 1988–1992: Zine publisher, including Plaster Cramp Press, a xerox press that published
experimental art and writing.
- 1986–1988: Sysop of Electric Cafe BBS.
- 1976: Moved to Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1971: Born in Beloit, Wisconsin.