[Jandek] John Fahey

Michael.Goldman at CH2M.com Michael.Goldman at CH2M.com
Tue Jan 11 07:24:09 PST 2011

Interesting thread. Being a massive fan of Fahey as well as the Rep one big difference I can speak is right hand technique. As much as I the Rep, his right hand technique is primitive. Fahey's on the other hand would rival most world class classical players.

I was lucky to meet Fahey towards the end of his life. We shook hands and I explained I had been a fan since I was a teen and he had impacted my own playing as much as any guitarist. He looked square at me and said "Burrito"
Blind Joe hasn't sounded the same since.
Michael Goldman MPH, CIH,CSP,CHMM, CPEA
Cell: 404/790-4769

From: Paul Condon [mailto:paulgcondon at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 06:57 PM
To: Jandek List <jandek at mylist.net>
Subject: Re: [Jandek] John Fahey

Interesting, I'd forgotten about that Fahey correspondence. You would indeed expect Glenn Jones to have a good idea about what Fahey was into, but I don't find it difficult to imagine he'd like Jandek, especially as he was impressed with Keiji Haino, who he met shortly before his death and intended to collaborate with. Apparently Fahey spent many isolated years under the impression that avant garde music had died with John Cage, so it wouldn't be surprising that he would later reach out to those he saw as kindred spirits. His "comeback" records were aggressively outré and he was adamant that he made "alternative music".

A comment I made here back in 2003 (Christ!):

Often wonder about this - I mean, talk about "American Primitive"! I tried
to post the following Fahey-related comment recently, but I don't think it
got through: I recently bought his Guitar Vol. 4: The Great San Bernardino
Birthday Party, and the track Guitar Excursions Into the Unknown (recorded
1963) is the closest thing I've heard to Jandek's acoustic style - it's
almost as if Fahey picked up Jandek's detuned guitar and started
fingerpicking on it. Here's what Fahey said about it in 1968: "I agree it's
one of my best pieces. I was afraid to issue it for a few years thinking
that no one would be able to like it and I was not sure of my own feelings
towards it were until Al Wilson virtually forced me to issue it. I can now
listen to it without fear that I will freak out but it took a long time."
And in 1970: "God knows what key or tuning it's in (if any of you can figure
it out please let me know." (I've read elsewhere that it's in D modal).
Fahey's use of his Blind Joe Death alterego is arguably an interesting
precedent to Jandek's mysterious-identity deal...
I met Fahey a few years ago when he played in Dublin, on what I think was
his last tour. I shook hands with him but when I asked him about his
interest in noise he ignored me and continued writing on an A4 pad. At the
time, I didn't know about his personal problems and the extremely fraught
nature of the tour (which was abandoned a couple of days later), nor about
his reticence in such situations. In retrospect I feel lucky to have gotten
a handshake.