[Jandek] Niagara Blues

Danen Jobe danen1970 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 09:32:39 PDT 2010

> Also, Danen, why "Niagara Blues" for the title?

It comes from a 45 rpm single cut by the artist in the book (it's a demo
that he gives to the record company so they might consider him) that puts
"Niagara Blues" on one side and "The Living End" on the other. That was also
the first song I ever heard by Jandek: I was a DJ at the University of
Arkansas and they had exactly two lps: "The Living End" and "Somebody in the
Snow". They were all marked up in obnoxious ways, with two x's on the back
through all the songs (instructing djs not to play any songs). Naturally, I
was intrigued - I knew who Jandek was through the Spin articles but had
never heard the music (this being 1994, long before song samples were
available online). I took the lps home and listened to them and the first
song I played was "Niagara Blues". That was the beginning of my journey with
Jandek, and it has ties throughout the book that I believe will make sense
when you read it, though nothing in the OLD book will clue you in. It
remains one of my very favorite Jandek songs on one of my very favorite
Jandek albums.