[Jandek] "Lesser" Jandek?

Brendan Stewart brendankifostewart at gmail.com
Fri May 14 01:40:54 PDT 2010

I totally get you on the Kingdom note. I've read at least 2 reviews that
seem to just sort of discard the album (maybe because of the other jandek
things that happened around that time?), which is depressing as Kingdom
was the first jandek I had ever heard. It stands out to me as being one of
the more musically dynamic records of his later period stuff, whereas many
times his vocals are what stand out (Khartoum and The End of it All). I'll
be honest, I find his recent stuff the most difficult, and haven't had as
much of a chance to explore it as I'd like, but that sudden
catch-a-downbeat moment (the strong double downbeat stomp) in the middle
of "I gave my eternity" is far more emotionally deep for me than almost
anything else his recent music has had.

I woke up is certainly a classic, although I don't think its as overlooked
as I thought at first. The last 3-4 years of his music are significantly
different than the slow-ramble talk stuff in the few years before it, so
maybe it would be okay to say that these are the most passed up?

Side note, I think Stay Me Here is one of the most upfront and aggressive
things I've ever heard from Jandek. Moments like those are making me
constantly re-evaluate how far he has come since Twelfth/Graven.