[Jandek] Chicago Wednesday

Chris Robinson hardeveningsuburb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:03:23 PST 2010

Chicago Wednesday arrived the other day.  Finally had a chance to listen to
both discs today while driving.  I really like it.  The rhythm section here
is immaculate.  I love what the bass player is doing, and the drummer keeps
things moving along nicely.  There are vaguely funky moments, mostly due to
the jerky rhythm and the lines that the bassist is laying down.  Corwood and
his electric guitar are great.  There's a particular moment where Corwood is
doing a solo and the bassist starts mimicking Corwood's lines, playing his
own variations on them, and the way the instruments compliment each other is
outstanding.  Instrumentally, this is a great album.  It is lively and
urgent and a hell of a lot of fun to listen to.

The lyrics are awesome too.  He talks a lot about jail, being in jail and
the people he encounters and conversations he has.  In spite of the
claustrophobic lyrics, the music isn't mopey or creepy.  The music is urgent
and Corwood is singing, for the most part, in a pretty urgent way.
Urgent... that would be a good way to describe the overall feel of the
performance.

I'll have to listen to it a few more times so I can more closely analyze the
lyrics.  Mostly just posting this to let everybody know that the thing is
available and that is is excellent.

-Chris