[Jandek] Portland Thursday with Thurston Moore

Brandon May scratchbomber at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 23:03:52 PDT 2010

I thought I'd let people know about the Portland, OR show with Thurston Moore since nobody's put anything up about it yet.  They played at the Hollywood Theatre, an old movie theatre in east Portland.  It was sold out and lasted around 80-90 minutes.  The guy who introduced the show(I think he was the owner of Jackpot records) stated that they were filming this show, so more than likely it will end up on dvd.  Some moron decided to leave during the middle of the show through a side exit and let all this sunlight in the room and might have screwed up some of the filming though.  There was NO backing band, just Jandek on electric guitar and Thurston Moore on electric guitar.  There was also NO singing either, JUST electric guitars.  I was actually hoping there would be a drummer and Jandek singing, but it was mostly Jandek playing the main part of the song/piece with Thurston playing abstract, avant garde effects/riffs with Jandek's playing.  They played 3 pieces, the 1st 2 were really loud, chaotic, and dare I say psychedelic and the last piece was really somber and ambient, it was beautiful.  It seemed like the 1st 2 pieces lasted around a half hour each while the last song was maybe 15 to 20 minutes long.  Jandek and Thurston stood and walked around the stage here and there for the 1st 2 pieces.  Then Jandek decided to get comfortable or got tired of standing and sat down (indian style!) on stage to play the last piece while Thurston sat on a barstool and played his guitar with a bow.  Jandek kinda seemed in his own world, neither he nor Thurston said anything to the crowd(as expected).  Thurston did lean over to Jandek after the last piece and say something to him, like a scene from the end of the movie Lost In Translation, where Bill Murray whispered something into Scarlet Johansson's ear.  The music made me feel like I was on a bad acid trip mixed with the wrath of God.  But by the 3rd piece, all was right again, you were in heaven.  It was REAL WILD!