[Jandek] Put My Dream On This Planet as a vinyl release

Shervin Fatehi fatehi at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 11 10:21:36 PDT 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 7:45 AM, Paul Condon wrote:
> You can fit up to around 30 minutes on one side of an LP though once
> you go over about 20 mins sound quality can begin to suffer. With
> something quiet and with little in the way of dynamics like Put My
> Dream On This Planet it wouldn't be a problem fitting 28:43 on one
> side. It's all academic though really, as I doubt there'd be much
> demand for such a release. It'd be nice to see albums like Glad to Get
> Away or I Threw You Away on vinyl though.

I was going to write something very similar. The mastering service
I've used, Aardvark, has managed to fit up to 37 minutes on a single
side of a 33 RPM 12", so it's not as though it would be impossible to
do an LP release of Put My Dream on This Planet.

The reason that you don't see such long LP sides very often is that
the width and depth of the groove is directly related to the dynamics
-- the shallower the groove, the less the tone arm moves, and the
sound becomes quieter and more uniformly so. As Paul says, this
wouldn't matter very much for Put My Dream on This Planet, as you
could just turn up the volume or the slider on your mixer or
receiver. For you Whitehouse fans out there, these considerations are
why so many of the early albums clock in around 25 minutes.

Sherv